** Note: our class begins on the first day of the semester (Tue. Jan. 17), and
not at the first class meeting (Wed. Jan. 18)!
** Add procedure: If you need an add code to add the course, please email me your registration appointment date AND time on the first day of CCSF classes (Tue. Jan. 17)
How does Math 110A Online work?
Section 831 of Math 110A is a *HYBRID*
course, meaning the class is mostly online but meets on-campus
once each week for 2 hours (Wed. 1:10-3:00PM in MUB 255). All testing takes place in-person. Students learn the material primarily from reading the textbook
and using online materials. There is online homework
), as well as hand-written homework. Students regularly participate in online discussion forums
about mathematics. Math 110A online covers exactly the same material
as a standard face-to-face Math 110A course (in other words, it will not be "easier" or more time-efficient). Who should take this online math course?
- feel most comfortable learning mathematics by reading a textbook
- do not feel they need or benefit from traditional lectures
- possess the self-discipline, self-motivation, and time management skills required to work on mathematics independently every day
- are patient with technology and learning new software and have reliable internet access
- are local and on campus regularly, since we have weekly meetings
Are you a good fit for an online course?
I recommend taking the following survey to determine if you are a good fit for an online course:http://www.ccsf.edu/Departments/Distance_Education/self_eval.htm
Mandatory Orientation & class meetings:
- Math 110A Section 831 will have a MANDATORY orientation on Wed., Jan. 18, 2017 1:10-3:00 PM in MUB 255 on the Ocean Avenue
- Registered students who miss the orientation will be withdrawn from the course. Wait listed students who miss the orientation will lose their position in the wait list.
- After the initial orientation, the class will meet EVERY week on Wed. 1:10-3:00 PM. Attendance is required, so do not enroll in any other classes meeting at this time.
- Our final exam date and time: TBA, but it is usually held during our usual class time during finals week.
Lack of Participation:
- You must complete the homework assignments with an average grade of 70% or higher in order to remain registered in the course (otherwise I will assume you have lost interest in the course). Please let me know if you want to remain registered but you are unable to complete the homework.
- At any point during the semester, if you miss the weekly class meeting, and you have not logged into Insight or WebAssign in over one week, the instructor will contact you to determine the cause of your lack of participation and the best course of action.
Contingency Plan For Instructor Absence
- If the instructor is absent due to an illness or emergency, the class will be informed immediately through the weekly announcements forum (this post will also be sent to your email account). The class notes and weekly quiz will be sent to students by email and students must submit the completed quiz (open book) by Thursday at 3PM. If the instructor is absent during a test week, the exam will be rescheduled for the following class meeting.
Assignments Summary - each student is required to do ALL of the following:
(1) Attend the orientation and the weekly meetings
(2) Submit online homework and quizzes (through WebAssign), and handwritten homework (submitted in class)
(3) Take all in-person quizzes, exams, and the final exam (bring photo ID). We will have weekly in-class quizzes, 3-4 in-class exams, and an in-person final exam.
(4) Participate in the discussion forums regularly (every week) with substantive posts.
(5) Browse the Insight 110A course site every day and look for new posts
- I check email several times daily. I respond to email within 24 hours (unless there is an emergency or illness). Homework and quizzes will be graded with feedback within 48 hours and the results will be posted in Insight (solutions will also be posted). Tests will be graded with feedback within 72 hours and the results will be posted in Insight (solutions will also be posted). I will return all quizzes, homework and tests with feedback at the following lecture. However, if you would like to collect your graded papers earlier, just stop by my office any day of the week (send me an email so I know what time to expect you).
Online Homework & Textbook:
- You will need an access code for the WebAssign online homework system (http://www.webassign.net).
- The textbook for this course is "Calculus,
Early Transcendentals," 7th edition, by James Stewart.
- Click here or more info about purchasing the textbook & online hw access code.
- Be sure to check your CCSF gmail regularly, and make sure that 110A emails are not being sent to the spam folder.
- Approximately 2-4 days before the start of class, I will send an email to all registered students with important information about the course. If you do not receive this email, contact me at firstname.lastname@example.org. If you register after this email is sent, you are still required to attend orientation.
- You will also receive a "Welcome to Canvas" email from the Insight Admin. with log-in Instructions for our Insight 110A course site
ADDING procedure for prospective students:
students who miss the in-person mandatory orientation will be dropped from the class. Open spots will be given to any wait
listed students present during the orientation (in the order they appear on the wait list).
- Wait listed students who do not attend orientation will lose their position on the wait list.
- After the list of wait listed students (present during orientation) is exhausted, students will be added based on their web registration date and TIME (bring printout!).
I look forward to meeting you!
Math 110A Section 831 CRN 34278